My spring has been filled with new projects starting with a teaching position in the Culinary Department of the Lake Tahoe Community College. Doing new things at an age beyond twenty-something is definitely challenging. We all grow confident and comfortable in our vocations but when a decision to do something new and different is made the anxiety level can be surprising. I taught cookery courses in Italy to wealthy Europeans who had had a glass or two of Prosecco but teaching career minded students who need knowledge and grades is something quite different.
The first course I taught was an overview of Vegan cooking. I have always been able to design and produce delicious dishes for my Vegan clients but Vegan-ism from a scientific and nutritional point of view is far more complex. My students learned protein and flavor combining techniques and I learned about B12 deficiencies and how to make wheat meat!
I never understood why Vegans would want to eat ‘not dogs’ and Vegan nuggets. The idea in my mind is repulsive to someone who doesn’t want to exploit animals. However, many contemporary Vegans are Vegans for health rather than ethical reasons and miss the texture and flavor of meat dishes. These types of food are made from manipulated wheat protein. Enter the wheat meat or Seitan, very cool concept, very easy to make, and very satisfying texture.
I did have students from the culinary program but also others from town who were interested in learning more about the healthful technique and benefits of a Vegan diet. Thank you to Daniel Zuhlke for taking such great pictures of the final Vegan dishes!
I am starting a course in Middle Eastern cuisine next week. Stay tuned for reports.



No comments:
Post a Comment